Hi Miss Emily,

I have a question that I really, really want advice on.  It's a ladies only kind of question.....I am unhappy with my womanly part. I have only been with two men and both men commented on how long and thick my labia are. It's keeping me for having a good relationship, because I am so insecure. One guy even had the nerve to tell me I had "beef curtains"! I was horrified.  Aside from it more or less ruining my personal life, I have other issues.   If I wear tight jeans my labia get pinched when I walk, and I can't wear a cute swim suit because swim bottoms sometimes cause unsightly wardrobe malfunctions....I only go swimming in a bikini top and shorts. I am 27 years old and want a normal happy relationship and want to have look good "down there" for my self-esteem. I know surgery is an option but I have never had surgery of any kind, and I am scared. What do you think I should do?
Down There

---------------------------------Miss Emily’s advice------------------------

Dear Down:

There is a popular trend, now, called “designa vagina.”  I know you are not looking at it with a “Beverly Hills” mentality approach, but my point is that there are many plastic surgeons who are doing this, and it shouldn’t be too hard to find one in your area.  Just make sure it is a reputable plastic surgeon!  I had a friend who underwent the very procedure that you want (in San Francisco), for the same reasons, exactly.  It was done under a local, with no pain, and little to no discomfort afterward.  It won’t be cheap, but if you can find a way to pay for it, you will never be sorry.  Letting this interrupt what should be a normally pleasurable experience, is unnecessary.  By the way, some men do enjoy this on a woman, but it really doesn't matter, does it?  It bothers you and you want it changed.  The sooner you do this, the better, and you will never look back. Check on the Internet for plastic surgeons in your area who do this kind of work and, then, call the office directly for more information.  Be specific about what you want "labia reduction," and nothing more.  Let me know if you need more information.